I have 3 bushes at my house. Thanks to roaming wildlife, those bushes have been pruned "naturally". I have only had a handful of berries from my own bushes in the past couple of years.
Thankfully, a wonderful customer who has an abundance of fruit, gave me the opportunity to come out and pick some of her berries, U-Pick style. If anyone wants her contact info, or has any other questions about haskaps, send me a message or call the shop at 250-787-2739.
We have been making wine from haskaps for about 3 years now. This fruit makes AH-MAZING wine. Use enough berries (I like 5 gallons of fruit per 23L batch) and you get a wonderfully full bodied wine, rich in color and flavor. I use my saskatoon wine recipe for the haskaps and we've had great success using lime juice instead of acid blend. Whether you like a dry wine, or a sweet dessert-style wine, this berry can do it all.
What to do with your berries if you'd like to come in to make wine....
1) Pick lots! You will want them to eat fresh, for wine, jam and syrup.
2) Rinse off your berries and clean out the leaves, twigs, bad fruit, etc. No need to crush, mash, or put them through a blender.
3) Freeze your berries. REMEMBER - if you freeze in bags, they will leak!! Make sure you thaw them in a clean container to catch the juice. That stuff stains bad!
4) Before you come to your appointment, thaw your berries and bring in 5kg of sugar also.
5) Leave all of the messy work up to us. Yes, it is messy. We've stained everything around here with haskap juice.
For more information on this berry: Click Here
About This Page...
A bit about our new shop and what we are up to. I get asked about a lot of different things at the shop. Here's some info someone might find interesting. Or, some of it might just be ramblings from my overactive mind!