RQ2021 The Empress - Released January 2021
RESERVE YOURS BY NOVEMBER 12TH!
Spain Tempranillo Merlot
This dry, medium-bodied wine hints of deep red fruit with alluring aromas of plum and currant. Heady spices, earth and smoke linger with a moderate tannic finish.
• Carne asada or Barbacoa tacos (beef tacos)
• Grilled pork chops beside roasted potatoes
18L kit with GenuWine Winery Dried Grape Skins, French & American oak chip blend, and Bourgovin RC 212 yeast, makes approximately 23L of wine
Tempranillo's thick skins can sometimes lead to wines with tough tannins. Blending it with Merlot is ideal as the latter can smooth out these rough edges, making a more approachable wine.
Tempranillo merlot wines are generally rich and concentrated with berry fruit flavours.
- Has been adopted across the winegrowing world, but is still very much associated with the fine wines of Spain and Portugal.
- Strawberries, tobacco and spice flavours can be found in many Tempranillo wines.
- Merlot has spread far and wide from its homeland in Bordeaux, and is found in many top wine regions around the world.
- Merlot commonly exhibits cherry or caramel flavours but is perhaps more often recognized for its silky texture rather than for any one flavour. This makes it ideal for blending as it can smooth out more-tannic varieties.